Packaging waste disposal information
In connection with the Packaging Act (VerpackG), we draw your attention to the following:
The VerpackG regulates the responsibilities for assuming the disposal and recycling costs of packaging waste and aims to significantly increase the recycling rate for this. The law applies to all traders who deliver to Germany. This packaging waste includes
- Transport packaging
- Commercial sales packaging
- Packaging "system incompatible
- Sales packaging of filling goods containing harmful substances
- Reusable packaging
As a trader, we are obliged to apply for a licence for all packaging waste that reaches our customer via product shipments and to send it to the customer with the shipment. With the help of the licence and the licence fee paid by the shipper, a certain take-back, sorting and recycling of the packaging is ensured by the so-called dual systems. At the same time, the law prescribes significantly higher recycling quotas; for example, from 2022, 63 percent of the plastic packaging produced in Germany must be recycled (at the time the Packaging Act came into force, it was only 36 percent).
For us as retailers, this means that we:
- Have to register all packaging waste with the Central Packaging Register, where all relevant company data is deposited.
- License our packaging quantities via licence fees in the designated dual system.
- Report the data to the central office, which checks it closely.